Thursday, June 11, 2015

Back in Glasses

Sawyer is back wearing glasses.  He hasn't needed glasses since his eye surgery when he was 9 months old. 

To catch everyone up, Sawyer was diagnosed with Strabismus at 4 months old.  Strabismus is also more commonly known as being cross-eyed or wall-eyed.  The muscles which normally hold your eyes straight, do not hold his eyes straight.  In Sawyer's case, his eye muscles pull his eyes towards his nose.

Sawyer went in for his eye check up, and we voiced our concerns and observations to his Pediatric Ophthalmologist.  We had been seeing his eye drift back inwards for a few months.  Since he still has control over the eye muscles and can correct it, his doctor suggested he be put back in glasses to help train the eye muscles to stay straight.  Hence, Sawyer is back in glasses.

I'll be honest.  It completely breaks my heart.  Yes, he looks adorable wearing his glasses.  I'm mainly worried about other kids picking on him when he gets older.  We all know how cruel children can be.  I was called names when I wore glasses by some kids, and you only learn later in life that those kids were putting you down to make themselves feel better.  At the time, you just felt horrible.  No kid should be put down especially when wearing glasses to be able to see correctly.  That's my biggest concern.  I know it's a long ways off, but I can't help thing about it.  Fingers crossed, that will not happen.

I present... Sawyer in his new glasses!



1 comment:

  1. kids don't really pick on each other about glasses anymore

    ReplyDelete