Friday, July 17, 2015

She told her brother, "NO!"

You know those moments as a parent that as soon as it happens you think, "I'm going to remember that forever."  Maybe it's because the kids to something cute, funny, or tried to kill themselves and you're stomach dropped to your feet as you prevented it.

I had one of those moments this morning.

I was unloading the kids from the car to bring Cullen and Sawyer into preschool.  I unloaded Cassidy first since she's right behind, then proceeded around the car to let the two in the back out.  I put Cassidy down while I was fighting with the seats and unbuckling Sawyer.  Cassidy decided to be a typical 16 month old and run into the parking lot.

Of all the parking lots Cassidy could run into, the preschool lot is by far the best choice.  You have parents of young children driving around who are more vigilant than normal.  Plus when I drop off the kids, the parking lot is fairly empty.

Off she goes running and laughing, I asked Jackson to go get her and bring her back to the car.  He did and was holding her hand so she didn't run off again.  As I'm helping Sawyer put his backpack on, I see Cassidy fighting to get her arm free of Jackson's grip.  Then it happened.

"NO!" she screamed at him.  And the look on her face was priceless.  She was frowning and fuming at the same time because she wasn't getting her way.

"She just said no," was my ingenious reply.  Which was confirmed by Jackson trying who them proceeded to try to get her to say it again.

I just started laughing!

I knew I would never forget that moment for two very important reasons.

1)  Cassidy said no and knew exactly what she was saying and doing.

2)  I know that face she made.  I know it down to my bones because it had me written all over it.  The frown, the unhappiness, the pissed off look she gave her brother.  I patented that looks as a child and improved and perfected that look as an adult.  Oh Lord!  She might have my personality.  That'll be interesting come later on in life.

Seems Miss Cassidy is developing her independent personality.  And being pushed around by her brothers is not what she is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment