Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Carving

As you have probably noticed, I haven't been keeping up with the blog this month.  I promise I'm not doing it on purpose.  We've just been really busy around here.  Between annual doctors appointments, my OB appointments, and kids getting sick, it has been a little crazy at the house.  Jackson was down for a few days with a fever.  I was doing my best to disinfect the house and keep Cullen away (which was pretty much a moot effort).

This past Sunday we finally carved out some time to carve up the pumpkin (no pun intended).  Jackson and Cullen were very excited about helping out.  Both boys decided Andrew needed help cutting out the top and tried to grab the knife.  After several explanations on why they were too young to play with knives, Andrew was finally able to cut the top off.

Then the fun part came, pulling out all the seeds and insides of the pumpkin.  Jackson was not into sticking his hand into the pumpkin and grabbing the seeds and innards.  He refused to do after the first time and insisted on washing his hands.  Cullen, on the other hand, didn't mind at all.  After awhile, hands weren't working, so the boys used a spoon which Jackson was fine with using.  The kid who likes playing in mud didn't want to dirty his hands with pumpkin, go figure!

After the innards were emptied, Andrew carved out a face while Jackson and Cullen colored on smaller decorative pumpkins.

Meanwhile, I took the time to separate the pumpkin seeds to clean, flavor and toast them.  I made cinnamon and sugar pumpkin seeds and savory pumpkin seeds.  They actually turned out really good once I figured out what I was doing wrong.  In case you are toasting pumpkin seeds, do not forget to coat them in some olive oil before putting them into the oven.  This allows the seeds to toast up in a lovely brown color and keeps the seasoning on them.  Yes, they turned out great once I realized I had forgotten to put olive oil on them.

Pumpkin carving, coloring, and seed baking was a lot of fun for the kids!  Of course, I don't have a picture of the final pumpkin, but really, I'm just about 35 weeks pregnant.  Give me some slack!


The only time Jackson put his hand in the pumpkin.



No comments:

Post a Comment