Friday, August 9, 2013

To my beloved Mea

My heart is heavy today.  Yesterday, I had to do one of the hardest things in my life.  I had to let go of my beloved 11 year old cocker spaniel, Mea.

Over the past two weeks, she had become very sick.  I won't go into the details, but towards the end, I knew she wouldn't make it.  At the very end, I found out she had a rapid developing case of lymphoma.  I couldn't let her suffer any more.

I had Mea since she was a puppy.  Ironically, I received her as a gift just a few days before my 21st birthday.  Exactly 11 years later, she has left my life.

Mea was the sweetest cocker spaniel.  She was a big ball of tan and white fur as a puppy.  Tan all over her body with a shock of white fur on her paws and nose.  She was adorable.  She loved to cuddle and play fetch.  She was easiest dog to potty train; she was done in a week.

She and I have been through a lot together.  We finished up my undergraduate degree in Texas.  We moved to Baton Rouge to start graduate school together.  I met my husband with her.  Mea was even there when he proposed to me.  She moved with me back to Texas and was there when Andrew and I started our married life.  Mea put up with us getting another puppy, Thibie, which she tolerated.  She has been here through the birth of my three kids which I'm pretty sure she was not thrilled about at all.  Although, she did love all the treats they would give her or she would steal.

I have great memories of Mea.  She decided to be brave and bark at a horse.  This lasted until the horse turned around, then she turned tail real quickly and ran back to Andrew and I.  She loved going for walks around the LSU lakes until she got too hot.  Then she would run from shaded spot to shaded spot and lay down until we reached the car.  It was pretty amusing.  Mea was not thrilled to give up her side of the bed when Andrew and I got married.  There was a lot of growling and trying to push Andrew out of the bed for a few weeks before she realized he wasn't going anywhere.  Mea loved popcorn and would watch the microwave with excitement as it popped, and then would hover around giving me her pitiful eyes until I shared.  She found a bunny den in my parent's backyard once time and would not leave the bunnies alone.  The few times she played in ice and snow, she was in heaven.  My parents always said she reminded them of stuffed animal.  She captured Andrew's heart the moment he saw her, and I loved her unconditionally.

Mea was my first child, and I will miss her more than words can express.  I was there when she left this world because I wanted her know she was loved.  I wanted her to know how much I was going to miss her.  The love and companionship of a dog is something you can only experience and never understand until you've done it.

Thank you for being a part of my life, Mea.  You gave me awesome memories, and I will miss you more than you can imagine.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment