Friday, February 13, 2015

Why I am not a V-Day person

Don't get me wrong.  I won't turn down receiving a gorgeous display of flowers or a beautifully written card.  Besides that, I really do not like Valentine's Day.

I honestly feel sorry for all the men in the world on this day.  Too many women expect some over the top romantic gesture like candlelight dinners, carriage rides, roses scattered across the floor, or even proposals.  The men totally get gypped every February 14.  They are expected to plan, plan, plan and the woman practically do nothing.  Honestly, it's just not fair.

This fantasy is perpetuated from childhood.  Think back to all the Valentine's Day parties as kids.  Everyone is expected to get cards or candy.  Kids make over the top 'collecting boxes.'  Or as it is most of the time, parents make the over the top collecting boxes for their kids.  They have big parties at school.  Granted it is cute, but when is enough, enough?  Where do you draw the line on making February 14 special?  Hell, I was stressed out trying to get my kids' Valentine's cards done on time for their class parties.  And all I did was buy a set from Target and put it together.

For me, I'd much rather go all out on my wedding anniversary or my birthday.  These days mean so much more to me.  The day I took Andrew as my husband is the most important and amazing day of my life.  I do love my kids, and all of their birthdays are special to me.  However, without that amazing man I proudly call my husband, I wouldn't have my kids.  That is why my anniversary is so special to me.  My wedding was fantastic!  It was an amazing party.  My dad actually did a split on the dance floor, and I have the picture to prove it!  It can't get much better than that!

So yeah, Valentine's Day isn't a big deal to me.  I'll be with my family doing what we normally do on Saturdays.  We'll sleep in (as much as our kids allow us to), I'll make breakfast, the kids will watch cartoons and sports, and we'll go outside and play with them.  No biggie.  And if I receive some flowers, I will definitely be thankful and grateful.  I just don't expect or care for 'the most romantic gesture ever.'

Call me cynical or old, but whatever.  I'm not some teeny bopper or young 20 year old wanting the fancy dinner, flowers, roses, chocolates, cards, and 'the most memorable night ever!'  It's just not me.  And it's really never been me.  Give me something fancy on my anniversary and birthday, and I'll be hunky dory.  And by fancy, I mean dinner out away from the kids.  But, I'll pass on the crazy circus of Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment