Friday, February 27, 2015

Not losing myself to just 'Mom'

I almost did it.  I almost did the one thing I said I would never do.  It was close, but I refused to do it.

I'm not just 'Mom.'

I'm a women.

I'm a wife.

I'm a writer.

I'm a photographer.

I have (what some people call) a sick sense of humor.

I'm a bookworm.

And I'm me.  I'm not just Mom.

I refuse to lost my identity and just be Mom.  Yes, I'm also a mom, but that word alone doesn't define who I am.  I am so many more things.

I don't have to wear 'mom' jeans.  Or turtlenecks.  I'm allowed to wear skinny jeans if I so choose.  I'm allowed to show a little cleavage.  Hell, I'm just as sexy as those non-moms out there!  Why should I conform to being the stereotypical mom.

I'm not saying I'm going to walk out in public with a midriff and Daisy Dukes.  But come on, I'm not dead either.

I love writing my blogs!  It feels so good to put words to my feelings and put those feelings out into the world.  Words are powerful.  When I'm having a rough day, writing helps me work through it.

Photography has become a huge part of me the past two years.  I can get lost behind a lens and all my surroundings just fade away.  It blows my mind how I can take a photo, edit it, and create a lasting memory for my family.  I pick up my camera every day to let my creative juices flow.

I laugh at completely inappropriate things.

I read a hundred books a year on average.  I love my Kindle!  It goes almost everywhere with me.  I soak up knowledge because I never wan to stop learning.  It would be a tragedy for me to not learn something new.

I was a wife long before I was a mom.  Andrew means the world to me.  He grounds me, encourages me, and loves me, even with all my quirks.

Yes, I'm more than just a 'mom'.  I refuse to only be defined by the four little people I gave life.  I'm so much more.  I love being a mom, but I'm not going to fall into the trap and only be defined in one way.  It's not fair to me.

So I will be true to myself and be me, not just mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment