Tuesday, January 7, 2014

No Cookie for You

Over the holidays, I baked quite a bit.  I baked cookies, bread, pies, cheesecake, and a few other things.  I enjoy cooking and baking, so I always tend to go overboard during the holidays.  Plus, I get a larger than normal sweet tooth during pregnancy.  It's a great excuse!

With all the sugar being poured, I'm quite conscious of how much I let the kids have.  Sawyer practically gets nothing.  I just don't see the need except if it's a special occasion.  I've become a little more lax with Jackson and Cullen, but it is definitely far from a free-for-all in my house.  My kids are already active enough without sugar.  There is no need to torture myself by getting them all hyped up and having to deal with that particular fall out.

The boys had gotten into the habit of having a cookie after dinner if they finished it all.  Yes, one cookie.  Aren't I generous?!  With the holidays wrapping up, Andrew and I decided Jackson and Cullen needed to be broken of the habit of having a cookie every night after dinner.  Good parents that we are, we just started flat out denying them sweets.

One night after dinner, Jackson and Cullen were being very persistent about getting their cookie.  I told them no at least three times, as did Andrew.

Cullen decided to take it upon himself to go into the pantry and get himself out a cookie.  He really wanted that cookie.  Jackson, being a typical big brother, didn't actually touch anything but was within inches of Cullen at all times and was telling him what to do.

"No cookies," Andrew stated for what felt like the dozenth time.

"Yes!" exclaimed Cullen while trying to pry open an almost empty pack of Oreos.

Then it happened.  I witnessed it from the other side of the breakfast counter.  Andrew took the last three or four cookies out of the Oreo packet and shoved them in his mouth.  Then slammed the empty Oreo packet into the trashcan.

"See! Now, there are no more cookies.  I ate them all, " Andrew said around munching on the cookies.

I couldn't help it.  I started laughing and had to walk away.  The look of utter devastation on both kids faces was horrifyingly priceless.

But hey, they've stopped asking for a cookie after dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment