Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Epic Clogging

It took the third child to finally clog a toilet with a toy.

And I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sunday night, Sawyer was screaming and crying from somewhere inside the house.  Andrew and I couldn't find him at first.  Eventually he was found in the downstairs half bathroom where Cullen had locked him.  Nice brotherly love there.

Monday afternoon, Cullen says, "Mommy, the toilet paper won't go down."

I'm in the middle of plucking the meat off a rotisserie chicken, so I say, "Just leave it, and I'll look at it in a minute."

Before I had a chance, Jackson decides to go poop in the same toilet.  Afterward, I clean him up and flush the toilet.  I just see water rising in the bowl.

The toilet clogging is not an uncommon occurrence in our household.  I was completely prepared with a plunger sitting in the corner.

I plunge and flush.  A little goes down, but the water rises back again.  Plunge and flush.  Most goes down, but the water rises back up again.  Plunge and flush.  Plunge and flush.  Plunge and flush.  Plunge and flush.

By this time I'm thinking 'what the hell is wrong with this toilet?!'

I'm starting to get really frustrated and call Andrew.  His response, "Oh, I guess I need to figure out what toy I flushed down the toilet this morning."  What?!?!  Apparently he was not awake this morning and didn't see the toy sitting in bottom of the bowl until after he flushed.

Andrew comes home early to fix the problem he caused.  I'm not sure what exactly he did.  I was dutifully staying out of the way and keeping the kids outside playing.  All I know is it involved the plunger, a few pitches full of water, the snake, and lot of elbow grease.

About 30 minutes later, he comes out of the house toy in hand, looking triumphant.

Let me describe this toy.  It was probably at least six inches long and two inches wide.  It had a rattle on each end, connected by two twisty things.  It was a big toy, something a person should not miss seeing at the bottom of the toilet.

The toilet is unclogged and working normally.  I threw the poop soaked rattle away, and Andrew has learned to always double check the toilet bowl for toys.  All in all, not too much damage was done besides everything just being gross for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment