Friday, January 23, 2015

Being 'Super Mom' is a Farce

There is no such thing as being 'Super Mom'.

It's a farce told to all of us mothers to make us feel bad about something or other we are lacking in our lives.

It's sad but true.  No one can do everything.  Everyone has to sacrifice something.

I've been a mom now for going on 6 years.  I have friends who work and friends who stay at home.  I hear all kinds of stuff they wish they could do different or better.

The common theme I hear from all of my working mom friends is "I wish I could have more time with my kids.  I'm away from them all day, and I really wish I could just spend more time with them."  That is their sacrifice, time with their kids.  I've constantly heard about the guilt they feel when they drop them off at daycare to head into work.  These women give 100% at work, then come home and give 100% at home.  It's hard.

What did I sacrifice by staying at home?  I sacrificed my career.  No more climbing the corporate ladder for me. And the guilt of not monetarily contributing to the household income.  If or when I choose to go back to work, I'll be starting from square one, competing against young college grads who are driven, competitive, and don't have families.  I sacrifice my personal/alone time.  It's sad to say, but I've locked myself in the bathroom just to get a moment alone.  And still, the door gets knocked on, and I see little fingers under the door trying to get to me.  Dealing with the guilt of wanting just a moment to yourself, but thinking it must be selfish to feel this way.  I give 100% at home from the time I get up to them time I crash at night.  It's hard.

No one has it all together.  There is guilt on both sides of the fence.  I think we all need to realize this and stop saying the grass is greener on the other side.

No one is super mom, and if anyone ever claims to be, I say they deserved to be punched in the throat.  Everyone has to sacrifice something.  Whether it be time, sanity, cleanliness, but something has to give.

I'd love to have a clean household all the time, but it doesn't happen.  I would rather build a puzzle with my kids or help out with school homework.  I'm sure you can relate.

My idea of a vacation is spending time with my husband away from the kids.  If you've had a two year old attached to your leg 12 hours a day, everyday for 2 years, you might feel the same way.  A working mom's idea of a vacation probably is spending time with their family away from everyday life.  They can enjoy themselves and their family.  So what if our ideas are different?  It doesn't make them wrong.  If I had to spend everyday away from my kids, my vacation would include bringing them with me somewhere too.

No matter how many articles you read about Motherhood, what they always fail to say is no one's 'Super Mom'.  We all make sacrifices in order to the best for our kids.  We are all just flying by the seat of our pants trying to do what we feel is right.  So keep on doing what you are doing Moms!  No one is perfect.  I know I'm not!

No comments:

Post a Comment