Monday, March 16, 2015

Fail, then get back up and try again

Yesterday, Jackson told Andrew he wanted to take the training wheels off his bike.  Andrew and I had discussed teaching Jackson how to ride on two wheels for awhile.  We even asked him, but he said he didn't want to learn.  When he asked to take the training wheels off, we were surprised and happy.  Off came the training wheels!

Andrew started slow on the driveway.  Jackson fell, then got back up and tried again.  Our driveway has a slope, so I suggested taking him to the cul-de-sac across from our house.  That way, he would have a long stretch to ride straight.

Jackson was balancing pretty well.  After running alongside him, both Andrew and I were able to let go of him.  He rode pretty well for his first day and was able to ride without assistance, but he did get frustrated with the learning curve.

"It should be easy.  It shouldn't be hard.  I should be able to just do it," Jackson said.

"Jackson, it takes practice.  And some people, you, have to practice more than others to get it right.  You will fall.  You will get cuts and scrape your knees, but you will get back up and practice some more.  It's the only way to learn," I said.

"But it shouldn't be this hard," he said.

And that's when it hit me.  Jackson never would have said something like that unless this is the first thing he's had to work hard for and practice. 

He's always been a quick study.  He picked up reading fairly easily.  He's decent at math and loves science.  He does not like to be wrong because he knows 'everything about everything.'  (Although, I'm sure that's true for most 5 year olds.)

This is most likely the first time he's struggled at learning something.  And you know what, I'm actually glad he's struggling to learn it.  I'm glad this isn't coming easy.  I'm glad he realizes some things take practice, practice, and more practice.  I'm glad he's fallen and failed, then got back up on his bike to try again.

Why am I happy about this?

Because that's a life lesson.

Not everything in life comes easy.  Different people struggle with different things.  Not everyone is good at everything right away.  Some people require more practice than others, but eventually, he'll learn how to ride his bike.

Whether that makes me a bad parent, I have yet to figure out (although, I think this particular time it makes me a good parent).  I'm glad bike riding isn't coming easy for Jackson.  I'm glad he has to practice a little everyday.  Eventually, he won't need me to push him to get started.  He'll be able to ride, turn and keep going.  He'll get there, but it takes time, patience and practice.

Teaching him this lesson now is important to me.  So when he fell this morning and got frustrated, I told him to get up, get back on his bike, and practice some more.  And he did.  I already saw improvement when we practiced this morning from yesterday.  Next thing you know, he'll be an independent little bike rider!

No comments:

Post a Comment