Friday, March 2, 2012

Sewing Skillz

Growing up, my Mom made me learn how to sew.  I took a sewing class, watched/helped her sew, learned how to stitch correctly and thread a sewing machine, needlepoint, and cross stitch.  I say made me (although I was going to use the word force but that just seemed a bit harsh) because I never had any interest in it.  I wanted to learn a few things, but never had any real ambition to continue the sewing legacy my Mom received from Grandma.

I remember one time I was doing needle point, and I kept having to rip out stitches because it was wrong.  I was told, "You have to do it right," handed the ripper and told to correct it.  I'm pretty sure I loathed needle point and anything related from that point on.

I may not quilt or sew my own clothing but I have put my sewing skills to use.  I was the inevitable 'bean bag maker' at my previous job.  I think I made at last a dozen.  I've fixed Andrew's pants loops, buttons, and various other clothing issues he's had. 

McQueen successfully sewed back together.
But my sewing skills were of the up most importance last night when Lightening McQueen was losing his fender.  I got my needle and thread out and began to fix McQueen on the insistence of Jackson because he had to play with him.  After 20 minutes, McQueen's fender was back on, and I had a very happy 2 year old.

I have since learned sewing is a skill not many people know, and I'm glad I learned how to do it.  Although I'm not putting my stamp on the sewing legacy of Grandma and I loathed learning how to sew, my skills have come in handy.  Thanks for putting up with my grumpiness about learning Mom!  I may not be saving the world, but at least I can keep my family hole free!

No comments:

Post a Comment