Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Our Trip to Cajun Country

The week before Easter, our family headed out on a road trip to Cajun Country (aka Louisiana).  Specifically, we visited Covington, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge.  Andrew and I had been wanting to go visit out extended families for awhile, but with schedules and kids being born, it has been put off for awhile.  We technically haven't been back since we were married, which will be 6 years in June.

We arrived late afternoon Wednesday.  We were wiped out from the drive, so we just ended up relaxing with the kids at my Grandma's house for the afternoon and dinner.  My Mom had flown down to see us as well.  The kids were excited to see their GG.  My aunt and uncle were nice enough to host us for three days and allow us to take over there upstairs.  After the drive and dinner, everyone crashed early.

We had my cousin's wife, who I just consider a cousin, take pictures of the boys on Thursday.  Nikki is an awesome photographer.  It was the first time I've been able to have her photograph Jackson and Cullen.  If you are ever in the Covington/Mandeville area, check out her website.  After the photo shoot, we headed over to Cafe Du Monde for beignets.  Nikki, her girls, and my cousin Brian showed up, and we were all able to catch up.  It was the first time Jackson and Cullen had ever eaten beignets.  I got some cute pictures on my phone which I have yet to download.  We ended our day with dinner at my Grandma's house with my Mom.

Jackson and Cullen petting a goat at the zoo.

On Friday, Andrew and I got up early and took the boys to the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans.  We got there right when it opened at 10am.  While we were waiting in line to get tickets, I got stung by a bee.  I mean really this stuff only happens to me!  For someone who has had very bad reactions to bee stings in the past, surprisingly I didn't have a bad one.  Of course, I think most of it was force of will that the trip to the zoo wasn't going to be ruined before we even got into the gates.  Jackson and Cullen loved it!  They were exceptionally good and wiped out.  Too bad when we got back to my Aunt's house, they were having their annual Good Friday crawfish boil.  I saw a few other cousins, aunts, and uncles.  The boys played with their cousins, and everyone had a good time!

Sitting on a totem poll at Audubon Zoo.







Saturday morning, Andrew and I packed up and headed over to Baton Rouge to spend time with Andrew's brother, Paul and his family.  We haven't seen them in 4 years.  Paul and Emily have three girls.  They were gracious enough to host our brood.  After nap time, Paul and Emily had an Easter Egg Hunt for the kids in a local park.

Sunday was Easter.  After everyone went to church in the morning, we all met up at Emily's parents house for an Easter lunch.  Andrew's parents, sister, Ruth, and Ruth's kids drove down to Baton Rouge.  After a lovely lunch and lots of play time outside for the kids, we went back to Paul and Emily's house.  All the cousins were able to play together outside for a few more hours, then we all had dinner.  Everyone was able to visit, especially Andrew who was happy to see his family.

Monday morning, we drove out of Baton Rouge and headed home.  After a crazy long drive, we finally made it home.  Jackson and Cullen were ecstatic about being able to get out of the car.  Andrew and I were pretty stoked too.  All in all, we had a busy trip filled with seeing lots of family, and Jackson and Cullen enjoying playing with all their cousins!

1 comment: