Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gross Anatomy Lesson

I've been working on teaching Jackson and Cullen body parts since they were little.  We started off with the easy ones, such as nose, ears, eyes, mouth, etc.  From there, we learned arms, elbows, legs and so forth.

Jackson has become more observant as he has gotten older and has noticed differences between himself and me.  He started noticing a few months ago after he insists on barging in on me while taking a shower or using the bathroom.  (You have to love the fact that when you have kids, you have absolutely no privacy anymore unless you lock the door.)  After Jackson started pointing out to me I don't have a "Jackson" on me, I started teaching him the rest of his body parts.

I decided to go with the anatomically correct name.  My philosophy being its better he learned the correct word because he'll learn all the slang later on in life.  I taught Jackson he had a penis, and Mommy does not have one.  Simple, efficient, non-complicated.  He learned it immediately, so my job was done.  Or so I thought.

Ever since Jackson learned he had a penis, he has consistently pointed it out every time he uses the potty, bath time, and random moments during the day.  At first, I thought this was just a brief period of fascination because he learned a new name to a body part.  I was wrong.  This has been going on for a month.  It's not just pointing it out anymore either.  I have been told when he needs to adjust it in his underwear, when it itches, and the fact that Mommy doesn't have one several times.

With all of Jackson's talk about his manliness, I have come to the conclusion men started obsessing about their parts as soon as they learn what they are.  It has got to be a pride thing.  As in "Look what I have that you don't."  Ah to be so proud of things!

I'll just add this to the list of things I don't know if I'll every understand about living with boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment