Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Confession Time

I totally hid my kids' Halloween candy from them and am still eating it.

It's not completely as bad as it sounds.  I was giving them a piece of candy if they finished all of their lunch and dinner.  Then a few days after Halloween, I went into labor and had Sawyer.  After being in the hospital for a couple of days recovering, then bringing home a newborn and adjusting, I completely forgot about the kids' Halloween candy.

About a week ago, I was going to get the boys' lunch boxes off the top of the refrigerator when the bag of Halloween candy fell off and nearly hit me in the head.  I was more surprised than anything.  I had completely forgotten I had put it up there so the boys wouldn't constantly go in the pantry and pull stuff out.  I just started pulling a couple of pieces out a day and munching on them, not really thinking about it.  Andrew saw me last week pull the bag down, rifle through it, and pull a piece out.  He said, "So that's where you've been hiding the candy.  I was wondering where it went."  He then proceeded to have a piece to two a day too.

I hadn't realized until Andrew said something; I really had been hiding the candy even if subconsciously.  I used to only eat two pieces of candy a day when I was a kid in order to stretch it out.  I was never one to dive in and eat it all in a short period of time.  I wanted to savor what I got for an extended about of time.  I guess I decided to do the same thing with my kids' candy even if I accidentally left them out of my plan.

I can say I have started sharing some with them over the past couple of days.  Seeing as they were the ones who walked around the neighborhood to collect it, they do deserve it.  Plus, Jackson caught me eating candy, so I felt he deserved to have a piece.  I did feel a twinge of guilt when I realized I was hording their Halloween candy for myself.  But trust me, the guilt didn't last long, and I'm still eating the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment