Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Allergic Reaction

I found out the hard way I'm allergic to amoxicillin. 

With the sinus infection I had, I was prescribed amoxicillin and steroids at the same time.  I took my last steroid on Saturday.  Sunday, I broke out in a rash all over my arms, the back of my knees and calves.  It was not pleasant to look see.

Monday morning, I called the doctor when the clinic opened.  My rash was getting worse on my arms and legs.  It also spread to my thighs and neck.  I was told to stop taking amoxicillin immediately, take Benadryl, and apply hydrocortisone cream as needed.

Because I wanted to share my splendid news, I took a picture of one arm and sent to it to my brother and parents.  My brother, the doctor, texts back saying, "That's definitely a drug allergy rash."  Why yes it is!

Lucky me inherited my mom's allergy to amoxicillin and all things 'cillin.  For future reference, I'm not to be given any cillin antibiotics.  I would prefer not to go through this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment