Sunday, May 26, 2013

Blast Off!

Thursday evening, Sawyer desperately needed a late afternoon nap.  He was cranky and crying.  I tried to put him down earlier, but Jackson and Cullen kept waking him up with their obnoxiously loud noise level.

I finally kicked them out of the house and told them to play in the backyard.  I put Sawyer down for a nap successfully after the house became quiet.

The boys were playing on the back porch with their toys.  My parents had called not long after Sawyer was down.  I was talking to them for a little while.  After I hung up, Jackson came inside asking for his milk.

I look down to answer him, and I see his hair soaked in sweat and matted to his head.  His face is beet red.  I said, "Why don't we get some ice water instead?  You look thirsty and hot."

Jackson was stoked about getting ice water.  I filled up Cullen's water bottle as well.  I go outside to check on him and see he is just as red and sweaty as Jackson.  Naturally, I'm wondering what they are doing.

"We're playing with rockets!" Jackson answered quite enthusiastically.

"What rocket?"

"That one," he says while pointing at the grill.

The door to the grill was off.  The boys climbed inside the grill which was covered with a tarp and sitting out in the sun.  My kids were playing inside the grill.  It was at least 90 degrees outside and probably close to 100 inside the tarp covered metal grill.  They couldn't have picked any of the patio furniture to play the rocket.  Only the hottest piece of equipment would do.

The boys could have only been playing in it for about 5 minutes.  Long enough to get overheated.  I calmly stated we were going back inside to cool down and drink some water.  I'm extremely thankful I found them playing when I did.  Otherwise, I could have been dealing with heat exhaustion.

Granted, I applaud their imagination.  I just wish they had used another piece of furniture (like a patio table) instead of the tarp covered metal grill.  The joys of having little boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment