Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wild Cows!

On a rafting trip in college, I had a very dumb blonde moment.  Cow were roaming the banks of the river eating grass and drinking.  In my infinite wisdom I said, "Are those wild or domesticated cows?"

After getting 'what the hell' looks from my friends, I continued.  "I mean are they owned by someone or are the wild?"

I should have just kept my mouth shut.

"Oh, we know what you meant.  I just can't believe you asked that," one responded while the rest were laughing hysterically, "All cows are domestic...." and an explanation on cows, etc. followed.

Cue the ridicule of me asking my asinine question for the rest of the rafting trip and years to come.

Just to clarify, I did not grow up anywhere near cows or ranching.  I grew up in Southern Maryland where there are farms, but they typically grow tobacco or something of plant origin.  I was never on the up and up about farming/ranching, ever.

The reason I bring this story up is Andrew and I recorded Discovery Channel's North America series for the boys to watch.  They love watching Life, Earth, and Frozen Planet.  We figured this would be just as good (and weren't disappointed).

My best friend happened to tell my husband the above story at some point.  I've continued to receive grief about it to this day.

"Maybe they'll show wild cows," I said and started laughing.

"There are no wild cows, Emily.  All cows are domesticated," Andrew replied.

Not being able to let go, I said, "If an animal is domesticated, that means it was once wild.  Hence, there should be wild cows.  I mean there are wild horses.  Makes perfect sense."  Seriously, the logic still makes perfect sense in my mind.

We could have continued on this topic for awhile, but Discovery's North American piped in about the same time.  They said Bison were the forefathers of today's domesticated cows.

Wham! Bam! Thank you mam!

I am right!  Wild cows proceeded domesticated cows!  I don't look so dumb now do I?!  Don't answer because I don't want to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment