Monday, May 20, 2013

Hiking and a Party

Have you ever had the weekend go by so quickly on Monday you're wondering what the heck happened to your weekend?  That is what happened to us this weekend.  It went so quickly; I need another two days off.

Saturday morning, we went over to west Austin to go hiking on a trail Andrew found.  After getting everyone dressed, we headed out the door.  Of course, we forgot the diaper bag and bottle of water, but I had 36 rolls of toilet paper in the back of my car!  You never know when you need toilet paper or when you just forget to bring it in after going to Sam's.

We had fun on the hiking trail.  Jackson and Cullen loved seeing all the plants, trees, rocks, and streams.  It was a short hike of 1.3 miles.  I had Sawyer strapped to me, and Andrew eventually had to put Cullen on his shoulders after he got tired.  We even saw a small snake sunning on a plant.  Let me point out that I saw the snake after everyone else passed it (I was bringing up the rear).  I did not scream or cry out or freak at said snake.  I just calmly stopped and said, "Look, check out this snake boys."  And feet came a runnin'!



The trail head was next to a park with a playground.  Afterward, Jackson and Cullen wanted to play.  Andrew and I could have happily gotten in the car and drove home, but we let the boys play.  After finally running out of energy, we climbed into the car to head home.  I had a box of animal crackers still hanging out in the back of my car (next to the toilet paper), so I was able to give Jackson and Cullen a snack.  They were starving.

Saturday evening, the family went to Mass.  Jackson and I sat in the congregation instead of the cry room.  He's almost 4 years old, so it is definitely time to learn.  We made it all the way to the beginning of the homily before we made our journey back to the cry room.  Jackson was pretty good, but he would not shut up!  The kid is a motor mouth.  He wanted to check out the stained glass windows.  He wanted to go up to the alter to see the 'prince and princess' chairs.  I explained to him we couldn't go up to the alter and those chairs were for the priest, deacons, lectors and alter servers.  I got barraged with questions of why and could he go kill that bug in the walkway.  I eventually gave up after he said he needed to go potty.  Off to the potty and cry room we went.  A little at time and a whole lot of patience on my part is needed.

Jackson had his birthday party Sunday afternoon.  All morning I was running around making sure we had everything we needed because I'm a control freak and perfectionist.  It's a bunch of 2-4 year olds, so I have no idea why I do this.  I think I was more afraid of forgetting something like candles or forks or a kid.

Quite a few of his friends from preschool couldn't come because Disney on Ice was in town.  I didn't even know it was here, good parent I am.  Jackson had fun with his friends there, and that's all that matters.  He had a super hero theme because it is his new obsession.  I can't believe my little man will be 4 on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment