Thursday, June 6, 2013

Surgery and Recovery

I am glad today is a new day.

Jackson had surgery yesterday to remove a cyst from inside his scrotum. I took him down to the surgical center while Andrew took Cullen to preschool and watched over Sawyer. On the way down, I hit a hell of a traffic jam on the interstate. It was past rush hour, but our city has the nation's 5th worst traffic according to some recent study. Lets just say, I avoid the interstate like I avoid the plague, normally.

After arriving exactly on time (I left early just in case), we were whisked away to pre-op. The only thing Jackson wanted to do was play Angry Birds on my phone. I usually don't let the kids play games on my phone, but it kept him occupied and calm during the wait. Meanwhile, I filled out paperwork, signed my life and his away, and answered the same questions at least 3 times to 3 different people. I was told all the risks, up to and including death. Love the thoroughness. The nurses and doctors were all great. Eventually, he was whisked away on the rolling bed (which he loved) to the operating room, and I was walked into to post-op to wait.

An hour later, Jackson's doctor came in to tell me about the surgery . It was a success! She said the cyst came out completely in tact, and there was no need to have a second incision. Jackson was wheeled into his post-op room about 20-30 minutes later. He eventually woke up completely from the anesthesia about 1 1/2 hours later.

His first question, "Mommy, can I play Angry Birds?"

I laughed and knew everything would be just fine.

Since the anesthesiologist gave him a low epidural (called something special which starts with a C), he couldn't walk or feel his legs adequately to stand. It was pretty funny. I was getting him dressed, and his lower half was flopping around like a rag doll. He is also quite talkative when on pain medicine. I got an earful on how big he is and other things. I almost wish I had an extra pair of hands around to video tape it.

We arrived home a little before 1pm. He inhaled a vast amount of food because he was starving.

All in all, it was a long day.

Andrew and I are glad it's over. I'm quite thankful for the technology of our phones. I was able to keep Andrew up-to-date almost instantly. It's the next best thing to having him there with me.

Thank you all for your prayers before, during and after surgery. He's already back to his normal self.

No comments:

Post a Comment