Thursday, July 18, 2013

Roux-ga-Roux

My boys love Animal Planet's Gator Boys.  Ever since the show came on, Jackson and Cullen have been obsessed with watching it.  They even pull out their stuffed alligator and pretend to wrestle it during commercial breaks.

Gator Boys was on last night right before bed time.  Nothing too unusual.  In the episode, the guys from Mississippi were talking about the Roux-ga-Roux legend.  Of course, the episode played up the Roux-ga-Roux, and the Gator Boys ended up playing a practical joke on one of their guys.

After everyone was tucked in bed, Jackson comes out about 20 minutes later having to use the potty.  When I'm putting him to bed, he tells me he's scared of the Roux-ga-Roux.

"It's going to get me," Jackson said.

As cute as I thought it was, I tried to explain the Roux-ga-Roux wasn't real.  That didn't work, so I did the next best thing.  I pointed at his night light and said, "The Roux-ga-Roux doesn't like light, so your night light will keep you safe."  That was a little more convincing, but he still needed more.

I pulled out the big guns.

I grabbed his stuff alligator and put it at the end of Jackson's bed.  I told him, "The alligator will keep you safe and scare off anything it sees.  It will bite them!"  That did it!

As I left his bedroom, I decided letting him learn about the Roux-ga-Roux was probably not my best parenting moment.  He had seen the episode before, so I really didn't think anything of it.  Apparently, he's old enough now to put two and two together.  No more talk of legendary creatures named Roux-ga Roux in our house.

Only a minor parenting failure on my part. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment