Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Good Samaritan

I had to make the trek to Sam's today.  My kids demand to eat every day, several times a day so food is apparently a necessity now.

I have Cassidy strapped to my chest in the Bjorn, Sawyer is in the front of the cart, Cullen decided he wanted to ride in the big part of the cart, and Jackson is walking around sliding and spinning himself on the concrete floor.  Nope, I'm not joking.  He thought it was the coolest thing he could slide around on the floor and kept doing it the entire time.  After the first few times, I just gave up and hoped he wouldn't contract some unknown virus.

Overall the trip wasn't too bad.  After getting in line, I started looking for my Sam's card.  It's not in the usual spot in my wallet, so I started digging.  I looked in every crevice of my wallet and my purse.  Still, no membership card.  I finally chalked it up to Sawyer deciding to pull it out and leave it in some unknown place I will find in three years.

After hauling everyone over to Member Services, I received a temporary card for the day.  I finally was able to check out.

As I get to the car, I start trying to put everyone in their seats.  A man crosses the parking lot after loading his truck and says, "Would you like some help loading your groceries into your car?  I only have one who's 7, and he's difficult to do this with."

After stammering from shock, I finally spit out, "Yes, that would be helpful. Thank you. Thank you very much."

I loaded up all four kids in the car while my good Samaritan loaded my cart of stuff into the back.  He even put my cart away for me!  As he was walking away, I told him thank you about a dozen more times.

I didn't know this man, but he made me remember not everyone in this world is self centered.  He didn't have to come over and offer to help, but he did.  He didn't expect anything from me.  He only saw I was struggling trying to keep everyone and everything together and offered his assistance.

I am truly grateful for his selflessness when I needed the reminder.  There are people who are willing to help for nothing at all but the fact you need it.  Today, I did need help, and a stranger was there for me today.

To the man who helped me today, thank you.  Your act of kindness was there when I needed it even when I didn't know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment