Thursday, July 3, 2014

So What if I Wear a Bikini

It's summer time in Texas which means it is hot.  So like all moms trying to wear their children out, I take my kids to the pool.  They love the water, it's hot as Hades outside, and I can be outside and not be worried about my ass crack sweating.

But yes, I wear a bikini to the pool.  With my four kids in tow.  Am I ashamed of my bikini?  Nope.  Do I get weird and surprised looks from other people?  Yep.  Does this bother me?  Hell yes!

I might come off as bitchy when I say this, but I'm just going to be blunt.  After having my four kids and working my ass off to get back in shape, I am wearing my damn bikini at the pool.  Other people be damned.  I am proud of my body.  It may not be the 22 year body from 10 years ago, but I still look pretty damn good right now.

I have been pregnant, cumulatively, for over 3 years (that's 36 months!), in the past five years.  My weight has consequently yo-yoed because of the pregnancies.  I believe in a healthy lifestyle which include eating healthy foods (although I have a serious weakness for sweets and alcohol) and working out regularly.  I don't have the luxury of working out whenever I want to just because I am a stay at home mom.  I have kids' schedules, nap times, feeding times, and other assorted stuff to keep my day plenty busy.

Do you know when I work out?  I work out at night time after I put the kids down to bed.  After an exhausting day of running around with children, cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, kissing boo boos, playing in the backyard, and making sure my kids live to see another day, I haul my ass to the gym and put in a good hour workout, at least.

Wanna know why?  Because I want to be around when my kids grow up.  I want to be able to play and keep up with them as they get even more active.  I want to feel good about myself!  Exercise helps alleviate my stressful day while keeping me in shape.  And I do all of this after the kids are asleep or at some crazy time in the morning if I wake up early enough.

So if I want to wear a bikini to the pool, I damn well will.  I'm not doing it to show off.  I'm not doing it to ask for attention.  I'm doing it because it makes me feel good about myself.  It makes me feel like the hard work and sacrifice I make every day putting my healthy choices above what I really want to do (aka sleep and rest) are worth it.

My whole point is do not judge someone for being comfortable in their own skin or thinking they have the time and luxury to do it all because they do nothing else.  Because that is complete bullshit.

I own my choices.  I choose not to let my health and body go in the gutter because I decided to have four kids.  I choose not to eat junk food.  Instead stock my house with healthy choices, so I'm not tempted.  Just like I choose not to wear mom jeans and pleated pants.  I choose to drag my exhausted butt to the gym after bed time to ensure my sanity for another day.  I make all those choices.  When I choose to wear my bikini at the pool, suck it up because it didn't come as easily as you may think.

And no, I will not be posting a picture of myself in said bikini.

No comments:

Post a Comment