Friday, October 28, 2011

Boys and Their Love of Food

For the past 4 months, I have been woken up by Jackson walking right up to my bed saying, "Strawberries" or "Banana" or "Waffle" or "Mommy, I'm hungee" or some sentence with these words combined.  Not a good morning Mommy/Daddy or any other form of greeting is issued.  And he always walks to my side of the bed, never Andrew's except on the exceptionally rare occasion.  My morning starts off with my two year asking for some form of food or milk constantly until his request (or order as I've come to realize it really is) is fulfilled.  This is followed by myself or my husband getting out of bed, padding to the kitchen, and getting Jackson something to eat.

The rest of my day has recently evolved into one of my sons asking for food/milk at least once an hour.  Since Cullen isn't talking except for the proverbial one year words, the conversation is pretty one sided on my part.  However with Jackson, the conversation usually goes:

Jackson: I want a fruit bar.
Me: No, Jackson finish your waffle/strawberries/banana.
Jackson: No. Fruit Bar.
Me: No, Jackson.  Finish (insert food)
Jackson: Hmph.... (he almost always finishes said food)

An hour later...

Jackson: I want a yogurt.
Me: Okay go sit down.

An hour later...

Jackson: Lunch time.
Me: No, its not lunch time. You can wait an hour for lunch.
Jackson: No, (insert said food item now asking for)
Me: No, go play.
Jackson: No, I want an apple.
Me: Ok. Let me go clean it off.

Lunch time then follows with a variety of food.  After his nap....

Jackson: Snack time.
Me: What do want for a snack?
Jackson goes into the pantry, peruses the many items before making a decision.  I usually counter whatever decision he makes with something else unless its a healthy item.

Not long after my husband gets home, but before actual dinner time, Jackson is asking for another snack.  This is either flatly denied by me or we allow him something if Andrew and I are snacking.  I'm not that mean to deny him food if I'm eating.  Well... most of the time.

Dinner time is typical.  After dinner, Jackson is generally good about not asking for anything else.  After the massive amount he ate during the day, he should be full! It just amazes me how much these kids eat.  Even Cullen can scarfce some food down when he wants too.

I'm told this love of food will continually get worse as both of my boys get older. I'm sure getting them to continue to eat healthy will also prove to be more challenging.

Its just another thing to love about my boys!  Food will always be the way to their hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment