Thursday, October 27, 2011

Busting out in Song

I love music.  I have my favorite genres just like everyone, but I'll listen to pretty much anything.  This was not always the case.  I grew up in the Northeast US.  I was not exposed to true, good country music until I moved South to Texas in my mid-to-late teens.  Even after moving, I refused to listen to country music for quite some time.  I received more exposure to it when I started going to some country bars and dance halls in college.  I can definitely hold my own with two stepping now!  After some time, I have really learned to enjoy country music.  Its still not my number one genre, but it has certainly made an appearance on my iPod as of late.

I listen to music a lot during the day.  Staying at home with the boys every day, I like to have background noise.  I get a lot of noise from the kids, but I find it soothing to have music playing in the background.  Its better than having the TV on in my personal opinion.  I'll sing lyrics in my house and car when the mood strikes me.  I'll even bust out a few dance moves.  There's nothing wrong with having fun!

Since I listen to significant amount of music, I have become very aware Jackson is now picking up on my love of music.  My first indication of this was when he would bust on song lyrics to songs playing. The correct words, mind you.  Not too mention he loves dancing!  His current favorite is Rascal Flatt's Life is a Highway.  Hence the mention of country music earlier.  He could have this song on repeat for hours, but I usually put a kibosh on it long before.

It's not only me Jackson gets his love of music from.  Andrew sang in choirs galore growing up.  He was in musicals, ensembles, etc.  Plus, Andrew has an absolutely fabulous voice!  I love it when I hear him bust out a song.  Especially if it one of my favorites.

With Andrew and I both appreciating it, I love the fact we, as parents, can pass this on to our children.  Music is a good escape from reality when we need it or can serve as a reminder of events in our past, good and bad.

So if you happen upon one of my children and they start singing along with a song or to their own beat, appreciate it.  Its a simple joy in life to relish in!

No comments:

Post a Comment