Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our First Valentine's Date

It's Valentine's Day.  Every year Valentine's Day comes around Andrew and I decide not to do anything big.  I'm not a big Valentine's Day person.  I'm pretty happy with a card and some flowers.  I love flowers and any excuse to get them.  I don't need to be taken out to a fancy restaurant, wined and dined in order for my husband to prove his love for me.  He does small things every day to show me that he loves me.

Since it is Valentine's Day, I'll share the story about our first Valentine's together.  We were both graduate students at LSU, so nothing fancy was even monetarily possible.  Andrew brought me over to his apartment and there was a single red rose closed inside a hardback novel.  It was very sweet and thoughtful.  Andrew knew I loved to read, so he got me a book I had wanted that just came out.  That's love!

Andrew also made me dinner from scratch., chicken caesar wraps in crepes.  I was impressed.  We started, and everything was delicious.  About half way into my wrap, I bit into an entire raw clove of garlic.  Tears started flooding my eyes immediately as I was trying my best not to show my shock and gag reflex.  I really did try to swallow the garlic, but I just couldn't force myself.  So after about 15 seconds of tears falling out of my eyes, trying to swallow, trying to breath normal air (not garlic filled air) through my nose, not trying to hurt Andrew's feelings by spitting my food onto my plate, I gave up and projected all the food in my mouth onto my dinner plate.  I looked at what came out and saw a rather large raw clove of garlic staring back at me, taunting me.  I washed my mouth out as best I could, but I swear I was tasting garlic for hours.  Hours!

Andrew felt horrible after he realized what happened.  I tried to play it off, but I just couldn't at the time.  I found out later Andrew used a blender to made the dressing and the blender didn't chop up the clove.  I asked him to use a food processor in the future.  Although I did see the recipe, and the recipe did say blender.

So, our first Valentine's Day, garlic decided to infiltrate our dinner and have its evil way with my taste buds.  I rocked it by finishing off Andrew's homemade dinner and even eating dessert!

Neither one of us have forgotten our Valentine's Day dinner 7 years ago.  It was pretty unforgettable.  Every year, I have to retell the story to him because we both can laugh about it now.  Although, we laughed about it then after I could breathe again.  Good times!

Because it is Valentine's Day, I'll end with a quote I've always enjoyed.

 "Accept the things to which fate binds you and love the people with whom fate brings you together but do so with all your heart." ~Marcus Aurelius


A gift to Mom and Dad from Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment