Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Simple Comment

Yesterday, I needed to kill about an hour after registering Cullen for Preschool.  Yes, my little man is old enough to start going to preschool in the summer.  It's both exciting and sad at the same time.

Anyway, I decided to stop by the place I used to work at before the boys were born.  Everyone is still there, for the most part, and its always nice to catch up with good people.  After I walk in and do the initial hello greeting, I received the most surprising and sweetest comment.

"Wow, Emily, you look the best I've seen you."  Thanks Kat!

I was completely taken back by it, and instead of over analyzing it (as I usually do), I just accepted it as is.  A sweet, amazing compliment from an honest, good person.  It just made my day!

I tend to not take compliments very well. I'm not sure why. It could be the cynical, analytical side of me who is always looking at the world as though someone is trying to take advantage of me. It could be I just expect that person has to say nice things to me. Andrew hates when I do this to him. I know this, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to take the compliment. Although I have tried to get better, he would probably argue against this. It's a wonder he puts up with me!

After having two children, I've worked very hard to get back and stay in shape.  I workout, regularly, and eat healthy.  I do have my weaknesses.  But really, who doesn't?!  I wouldn't be human if I was perfect.  And I am far from perfect.

It was just very nice to hear that I'm not this fat, lazy slob I somehow envision myself at times.  Especially when my son lifts up my shirt and slaps my side, very loudly.  (As he just did... hmm)

So Thank You, Kat!  Your honesty in that simple sentence meant more than you could possibly imagine.



No comments:

Post a Comment