Monday, March 25, 2013

Odd Convesation

Saturday morning, Andrew and I were standing in the kitchen waiting for breakfast to finish cooking, again.  I had made homemade monkey bread and realized it wasn't fully cooked after I took it out of the oven and flipped it over.  I stuck a toothpick in it to check, and the toothpick came out clean.  Unfortunately, the inner layer was not cooked, so back into the oven it went.

Jackson and Cullen were sitting at the kitchen table grumbling because they were hungry.  The banana and strawberries we had given them apparently had not held their hunger off long enough.

"Mommy, I'm a boy," Jackson said out of nowhere.

"Yes, you are," I said.

"I have a penis," Jackson said rather proudly (I'm telling you it starts at a young age!).

"Yes, you do," I said.

"You have a penis, Mommy," he said.

"No, I don't have a penis," I said.

"Did your penis break off?" Jackson asked with true sincerity and concern in his voice.

"No, my penis did not break off.  I'm a girl.  I don't have a penis," I said while turning my back to him and doing my best not to laugh but not being able to help it.  I couldn't believe this question was just asked.  Andrew was standing next to me trying not to laugh as well.  I gave Andrew 'the look'.  You know the one that says 'Help me out here because this conversation took a turn I wasn't expecting and I want it ended now!'

Andrew quickly took a hint and said, "Mommy is a girl, and girls don't have penises.  Breakfast is almost done, son.  Why don't you get a fork?"

Jackson happily enough jumped down and got a fork out of the drawer.  Conversation ended as abruptly as it began.  Success!

I looked at Andrew and said, "Um, I have no idea where that came from."

Andrew replied, "I almost gave him the Kindergarten Cop definition, but decided against it."

"Probably for the best, but I couldn't get that scene out of my head either!" I said.

Soon after, we sat down happily eating our monkey bread and drinking coffee.  I honestly have no clue why Jackson asked that question.  The whole broken penis was a moment not to forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment