Monday, March 18, 2013

Sawyer's Eyes

Andrew and I took Sawyer to a Pediatric Opthamologist today.  Sawyer's been having issues with his eyes since he was born.  Both Andrew and I noticed it almost immediately after we brought him home.  We talked to his pediatrician about it, and he told us to give him until 4 months.  At 4 months old, infants eyes are supposed to be tracking together and in the center.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.

At 4 months, I told his pediatrician I was still seeing eye issues.  He took a look and said he need to see an opthamologist.  Today, we took him.

I'll step back just a moment to say I totally got lost on the way to the eye doctor.  It was at Dell Children's Eye Center.  When I made the appointment, the lady asked if I knew where Dell Children's was and I said yes (been there way too many times already).  I thought I was set.

I get to the Dell Children's Doctor's offices (which is a building next to the hospital) only to find out it wasn't in the building.  Of course, I'm pissed and freaked out at the same time.  I had to look up the phone number on my phone and call the eye center.  The lady at the eye center asked if I had received an automated message on Friday confirming the appointment with directions.  Obviously I had not since I was calling for directions!  She was really sweet, gave me directions, and told me I wasn't too far away.  I'm hauling ass to get to my appointment on time (I had arrived 20 minutes early to the wrong place).  And I had to call Andrew and let him know he was going to the wrong place too.

After finally finding the right doctor's office on the northwest side of town, I arrive about 5 minutes after my scheduled appointment.  Not too bad considering.

Sawyer was seen by the doctor.  He gave him eye drops to dilate his eyes, so he could get a better look inside.  We went back to the waiting room to wait for Sawyer's eyes to dilate.  Sawyer did not like his eyes dilated.  Once they were fully dilated, he was screaming bloody murder in the waiting room.  Andrew and I tried everything to get him to calm down.  Eventually, Andrew just took him outside and was walking him which didn't help.  I made a bottle hoping he would settle down, but every time he opened his eyes again, the crying would start.  The light was hurting him.  And since I needed a pacifier, I forgot it at home.  Typical.

We finally were called back into the office, but Sawyer continued to scream.  I mean you would think he was being murdered scream.  He only settled down after he was put back into his car seat with the visor to give him some shade.  Of course, this was only when we were ready to leave.

According to the opthamologist, both of Sawyer's eyes turn inward at about a 12-15 degree angle.  He's pretty sure it's not effecting his vision since he can track just fine.  It is in both eyes and Sawyer isn't favoring an eye (one's not dominant over the other) right now.  He said at this age Sawyer is in the low to moderate category.  He's hoping Sawyer's body will naturally fix it.  Glasses will not help.

The verdict is we have another appointment in a month to see if Sawyer's eyes are any better.  I just love the sit and wait game.  So much fun! (insert a hefty amount of sarcasm all over)

Andrew had something similar but more serious than this when he was a child.  Since he passed it onto Sawyer, I told him I wanted some sort of refund of marrying a genetically defective husband, he rolled his eyes and laughed at me.  I'm assuming he's not giving me my refund.  I want my refund!  I want my $2.00! (name that movie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment