Wednesday, December 7, 2011

They're sharing... kinda

We have been trying to teach Jackson the concept of sharing.  He's 2, so this concept was completely foreign to him up until we started to teach him about it.  Everything used to be (and sometimes still is) mine.

Jackson has actually been doing well with sharing.  At preschool, he is the ideal student who shares, participates, and is the teacher's helper.  I'm still wondering when this kid will make an appearance in my house.

At home, we're still working on sharing his toys and understanding not all toys are his.  As odd as it may seem, Cullen does have his own toys.  Not all things are Jackson's.

Of course, there is one thing he excels at sharing with Cullen, food.  Yes, I know this sounds odd, but it is true.  Jackson always tries to share his food with Cullen if Cullen happens to be eating something else.  He'll bring Cullen whatever he has from his own plate and put it on the high chair tray.  And if I leave a box of crackers or generally anything on the kitchen table, Jackson makes sure Cullen has plenty to eat.  He even picks up whatever Cullen spills and puts it back either on the high chair tray or in Cullen's snack trap.  It is very sweet to watch.

Now don't confuse this with Jackson not eating whatever he was given.  He devours everything.  What happens is he'll give Cullen some of his food, but then insist I give him more.  So yeah, my grocery bill is not going down any time soon.

I'm positive the sharing of food phase will be fleeting.  As I'm writing this, Jackson just finished his snack, then stole the rest of Cullen's snack because he wasn't eating it.  He proclaimed Cullen's snack trap Jackson's, then handed me the empty one.  As I just said, it's fleeting.

Food is a precious commodity in my house.  If you're not eating it, watch out because more than likely a little hand or two will steal it from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment