Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Another Year Gone

This past Saturday was my birthday.  I'm not going to proudly display my age.  It's just not a me thing to do.  Although getting carded at Target two days before made me smile especially when I had the kids with me.  Unlike other birthdays I've had, this year I actually took the time to look at my life and what has been going.  I reflected not only on the past year but the past several years.

I'll tell you the truth.  I really did not expect to be where I'm at five and ten years ago.  I always envisioned myself being the perfect working mom who accomplished it all.  Ha!  Life and reality smacked me in the face hard.

I never once contemplated staying home with my kids until my first child was born.  I had one of those aha moments at some point during my maternity leave.  I just couldn't imagine dropping off this little bundle of joy in the care of a daycare, no matter how qualified and nice they were.  My world completely realigned.  I cannot pinpoint where, when, or how this moment happened.  It could have happened over a period of time or I could have woken up one day with my thoughts all jumbled.  Who knows when it happened, but it happened.  My world shifted, and I decided to talk to Andrew about staying home with the kids.

Andrew was the best most supportive husband about it.  He never once questioned why I changed my mind and just took me at my word.  We had several long talks, readjusted and looked at finances, and decided what would be best for our child (and future children).  Once the decision was made, it was done.

It took sacrificing, but I'm glad I made the decision to stay home with my children.  It especially worked out when Andrew and I decided to have more children.

Besides my career change, I've accomplished so much more with my life.  I'm educated.  I'm very proud of my several college degrees.  I paid for two of them myself and worked while obtaining my two Masters degrees.  It took sacrifices, but in the end, I feel my education to has been well worth it.  I have good friends.  People who I know I can count on.  I'm healthy, as long as you don't count the stress fracture in my foot.

I have a wonderful husband in Andrew.  He is a man I can count on in the good and bad times.  Someone who is my best friend and confidant.

After thinking about all these things, the conclusion is my life is pretty good.  So here's to another year gone by and many more to come.  I have two boys to keep things interesting, another baby boy on the way whom I'm sure will add to the endless noise in my house, and a husband to share all the wonderful moments with.  So far, I think I'm doing pretty damn awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment