Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Stress Fracture

I have a stress fracture of the 2nd metatarsal in my left foot.  The official diagnosis came on Friday after I went to see the Orthopedist.

I had been hobbling around the house for about 2 weeks before I called to get a doctor appointment.  I was hoping I had pulled a tendon or ligament, and it would heal on its own.  When I hadn't healed and the pain was definitely not getting better, I decided I should probably see a doctor.

Off I went Friday morning to have my suspicions confirmed.

How did I do this?  I have no clue.  It is usually a runner's injury, but I don't run because it bothers my knee.  It seems to have happened due to multiple causes.  Running after the kids, exercising (possibly), the boys dropping something on my foot, and/or stepping or tripping over multiple toys around the house.  Matchbox cars and Lego's are vicious little things!

How is this treated?  I have to wear a post-op shoe (which has already given me a nasty blister on my heel).  And I have to rest and stay off my foot as much as possible.

Rest?  You want me to rest and stay off my feet?  Ha!  I'd like to see the Mom who can rest while caring for (and running after) a 3 year old and 21 month old.  As idealistic as that sounds, it's not 100 percent realistic.  As much as I'm trying to stay off my foot, it is extremely difficult.  Andrew has been on me about making sure I rest my foot and ice it when it swells, but even he's not here all the time.  We do have lives!

For now, I am trying my best to follow the doctor's orders while also doing all the other things that need to get done.  If you see me limping around or wearing a weird looking shoe, I am not trying to make a fashion statement.  I am simply trying to heal as fast as possible.

Here's to healing and not making it any worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment