Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Being seriously insulted at the gym today

I had something interesting happen to me in the gym today.  I was in the dumbbell area having just finished my second set of alternating lunges, minding my own business with my iPod in my ears, when a guy came up to me.  I recognized him (although never had met him) because he drops his son off at the same preschool Jackson goes to.  His son is not in Jackson's class, so I've never said anything to him but maybe a friendly hello.

He comes up to me while I'm taking a break and asked me if I was just working out legs or upper body too.  Before I could answer, he gives me a tutorial on how if I drop my weight I can do step ups on the bench while do a bicep curl or continue doing lunges with a bicep curl.  He promptly demonstrates what he means while I'm still starring at him.  I nicely tell him I'm just working out legs today, and that I understand the exercises I'm doing.  I used to be a personal trainer.  For ten years.  Then I ran the fitness programs.

Apparently, I opened a can of worms when I said that because he then decided I needed to know he took a 6 week course on personal training.  He just couldn't personal train because the people you train aren't into health and wellness the way they should be in and it reflects poorly on the trainer.  He then proceeds to tell me the whoas on how the dumbbells at our gym (which are a very reputable brand seeing as I'd bought them for two recreation facilities I used to work at) aren't good.  I, then, was told how he knew the guy who owned a personal training school in town, the personal trainers working at my current gym, and several people who work at other various gyms in town.  He has a sports background going way back.  And how certain exercises are just okay, but he's trying to get big again so he needs heavy weights (over 100lb dumbbells).

On top of all that, he started discussing his wife and son.  At this point, I was really done with this guy.  But I had to hear how the guy's wife was a business woman who worked and could never stay at home because she's too business minded.  She has to abide by a strict schedule, but she's supermom and does everything anyway.  And how he likes working and coming home to his son.  I was also told he's a lot older than he looks (which makes me wonder how old he thought I was).

I don't remember how I finally was able to end this oh so stimulating discussion.  I was just glad it ended.  I was not only severely insulted but pissed off to the Nth degree!  So let me get this straight you person who doesn't know me at all 1) you have the nerve and ego, that couldn't even fit into the building, to come up to someone you don't know to give them exercise advice 2) you then learn the person you are talking to knows way more than you do; so instead of backing down you try to one up me with all your knowledge and connections 3) I obviously don't have a business mind because I chose to stay at home with my kids instead of going back to work and 4) I don't have as many contacts in town as he does.

Okay jackass, here's what I have to say to you!  Your ego is big because its making up for your total lack of regard for other people and your small dick.  Yes, I do know a hell of lot more than you do when it comes to fitness and recreation seeing as I made a fucking career of it!  I've earned a Bachelors degree and a Masters degree in it.  I hold a national recognized certification that requires continuing education units to keep up.  You can try to one up me, but everything you say makes you sound like more of an idiot.  I can pick your opinion and logic apart to death then shove it down your throat to choke on.  I do have a business mind since I have a fucking Masters in Business Administration!  I chose to stay home with my kids.  Just because I chose to stay home, does not mean I'm stupid!  And finally, I could care less who you know in this town.  It doesn't impact me at all.  In fact, I already insulted one of your buddies at my old job when he tried to tell me his school was better than a nationally recognized certification.

You can take your arrogant ass back home!  I don't care who you are or how nicely you try to put it.  You insulted my intelligence with your stupidity.  But because I am a better person than you, I will not provide the internet with your name.  My only hope is that someone puts your arrogant ass back in place because it severely needs to be kicked.  I'm done and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment