Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Spirit... or not

It's Christmas time, or if you want to be technical Advent.  It's the time when everyone, including myself, get out their Christmas decorations, and your house turns into a Christmas wonderland.  The tree goes up and gets decorated.  Wreaths adorn doors, windows, and the mantel above the fireplace.  Stockings hang over the fireplace, and you put up all your favorite holiday decorations.

My usual self cranks out the Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving, is bugging Andrew to get the decorations out of the attic, and is excitedly decorating the house.  Well, the tree is up and decorated.  The decorations are adorning the house.  I have Christmas music playing, sometimes, yet something is missing.

For me, that would be any Christmas spirit.  I cannot get into the Christmas/Holiday spirit this year.  It might have something to do with having a 1 month old and lack of sleep, but I'm not blaming all of it on that.  I bought a present off of a giving tree for a child in need.  I've done some Christmas shopping.  I've wrapped Christmas presents for relatives.  Andrew and I took the boys to Rock the Lights, a Christmas lighting display through the park.  Still, I'm not feeling it.

I have got the be the biggest Grinch this year.  I dread shopping for my boys.  I just cannot look forward to Christmas this year.  I almost wish we could skip the holidays.  Going to Mass is not putting me in the spirit.  We even got Nathan the Elf out and are explaining to Jackson and Cullen about Santa Claus and the magic of Christmas.  I've explained the nativity to the boys and why we celebrate Christmas.  Nothing is doing it for me.

I finally made the Christmas card after wrangling all four of the Ingalls men for a family picture.  That seemed to have helped because it is something I have always enjoyed.  I'm hoping it will help when they are officially put in the mail as well.  I know receiving Christmas cards always puts me in a better mood.  Its cool to see the changes people have made over the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment