Friday, January 18, 2013

What a Day!

Yesterday, I decided to take all three boys to the playground at a local park.  We haven't been able to get outside much due to the weather, and it turned out to be a really nice day.  After hustling everyone  around to get dressed, brush their teeth, get shoes and socks on, as well as jackets, we headed out the door.  We couldn't head out the door immediately because Jackson insisted on wearing a hat which means Cullen had to wear a hat, so we spent a few minutes finding their hats.

Finally at the park, I unload everyone and tell Jackson and Cullen to go play.  Sawyer stayed in his car seat which I snapped onto a snap and go stroller.  The boys had a blast especially since there was work going on in the park, and they got to see a bulldozer.  (Every construction vehicle is a bulldozer to them.)

After running around, sliding down slides, and swinging, I suggested we take a walk along the path.  The boys were all over it since they get to explore.  We start walking and come to the bridge that goes over a creek (with water in it this time!).  Jackson and Cullen are  loving it, and I'm taking pictures.  Sawyer is happy to be moving.  When we finally crossed the bridge, there is a little sitting area bordered by large rocks.  It also acts as a border for the overhang with a 20ft+ vertical drop.  Jackson decides to jump on the rocks and stand by the edge to look down.  I go get him down, while Cullen decided to find the small gap between the rocks and end of the bridge.  He's over there, standing next to the edge looking down, and keeps tiptoeing closer to get a better look (or something of the sort).  While I'm going to get Cullen, Jackson starts pushing Sawyer's stroller down the the path.  Jackson gets distracted and lets go of the stroller which continues going down hill.

I swear the next part happened in slow motion.  I see the stroller going down the path and heading straight to the edge because the path turns.  As I'm yanking Cullen back from the edge of cliff, I'm running to the stroller as I'm seeing it roll down, hit the edge, and start falling over.  Somehow (God only knows how I did it), I caught the stroller when it was about a third of the way to hit the ground and pulled Cullen away from the cliff's edge.  And this whole time I hear Jackson saying, "Look Mom!  A fish!  Take a picture!"  Sawyer didn't even get upset at the whole event.  He just stayed chillin' in his car seat.  Gotta love my tough boys!

After this incident, I decided we had walked enough, and it was time to go home.  If it hadn't have been before 11am, I probably would have had a drink when I got home.  All four of us calmly made it to the car without another incident.

At lunch, Cullen decided he didn't want to eat the last bite of sandwich I was trying to feed him.  He starts leaning away and away and away.  Next thing I know, he loses his balance in his booster seat and starts a head dive down to the floor.  Luckily, his legs got pinned between the table and his booster seat which slowed him down.  I see all this happening and grab his arm.  Unfortunately, I didn't grab him soon enough.  He landed on the side of his face.  I go into 'Holy Shit!' mode, pick him up, and start checking for injuries.  He ended up busting the inside of his lip open and bleeding all over my shirt.  Thank goodness for Oxiclean!  Cullen was fine, but I could have done without that incident directly following the park walk.

Later in the evening, I was cooking dinner, and Andrew was running late.  I was filling up a pot of water for pasta while flipping meatballs when my phone started ringing.  It was Andrew, and we talked for a couple of minutes before I realized I couldn't successfully flip meatballs while on the phone.  I hung up and proceeded with the flipping when I hear Jackson say, "Mom, it's spilling."  I look at him and ask, "What's spilling?"  He points to the sink.  I look over and see my pot of water overflowing all of the counter, down the cabinets, and onto the floor.  I slam the faucet off, grab the pot (which I spilled more water out of and onto myself), throw it into the sink, and clean up my mess.

I was super excited to see Andrew come home at that point.  I was doubly glad to go exercise my day out later that night when the kids went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment