Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day baking with Love

This morning I baked Red Velvet Milky Way Cake Cookies with the boys.  The kids had a blast, and I only ended up with a bruised knuckle.

First, I had to cut the Dark Chocolate Milky Way candies for the cookies.  Jackson generously offered to use the knife so I wouldn't have to.  I graciously turned him down since a three year old wielding a knife just screams emergency room.  After cutting the Dark Chocolate Milky Way candy, I proceeded to start making the cookies.

Cullen poured the cake mix into the mixer.  Jackson dropped the butter in (after licking the top of the stick), and I dealt with the egg.  Each boy got a turn with the vegetable oil since I needed two tablespoons.  The mixer started mixing and Jackson started screaming, "Gross Mommy! That's yucky!"

"Wait until it's finished before you judge how it looks," I said knowing full well he'll gobble the cookies up after they baked.

I turned the mixer out and grabbed my spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.  As I was scraping, Cullen decided it would be a great idea to turn the mixer back on the highest speed.  Since my hand was right there, I got whacked with a metal mixer going at the speed of light.  Hence, the bruised knuckle.

After adding the Milky Ways and chocolate chips (because we were aiming for super unhealthy yet yummy cookies), I was letting the mixer do its thing.  Jackson decided to try and lick the spatula, and Cullen tried to stick his hand in the mixer.  I obviously I didn't have enough going on.

As I was scooping out the batter onto the baking sheets, Cullen kept sticking his hand into the mixer, grabbing batter, and shoving it into his mouth.  No matter how fast I thought I was, he somehow always beat me to the punch.  He'll be keeping his immune system in check with all the raw egg he ate.  If it didn't kill me by now (I am a notorious batter eater as is Andrew), I'm sure he'll survive.


 Of course after baking and cooling the cookies, they had to be tasted.  They were a hit!

Happy Valentine's Day from our family to yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment