Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Batten Down the Hatches

Yesterday, a huge wind storm blew through our area.  We were on the south side of the blizzard that hit north Texas, Oklahoma, and the Plains states.  We did not get any snow (or rain for that matter), but we had to endure the wind.  We had a constant wind 30-40mph with gusts of 50-60mph.  I was nearly blown over while holding the baby carrier, with Sawyer in it, when I had to go pick up the boys at preschool.

As you probably know by now, Andrew and I put the house up for sale yesterday.  After picking up Jackson and Cullen from preschool and winning the battle of wills to get Cullen to take a nap, I was feeding Sawyer when I hear a rather loud snap/crack outside.  Unsure what it was and unable to investigate at the moment, I continued feeding Sawyer.  I heard a few more of the same sounds, and finally, I'm able to go investigate.

I walk out into the backyard and find our fence lying on the ground.  The entire fence viewable from the front of the house is down on both sides.  The wind caused the fence posts to snap about an inch inside the concrete.  I immediately called Andrew to let him know and sent him a picture via text.  He was about to walk into a meeting and told me he'd come home to look at it afterward.

One minute after I hung up the phone, I heard another snap and part of our back fence went down.  I kid you not!  Part of the fence is hanging in the breeze and another part is lying down in the easement.  Great, just great.

I walk back inside the house after pulling part of the fence to safety and my phone rings.  I don't recognize the caller ID, but answer it anyway.  Guess who it was?  A realtor asking if she can show a house to a client who is in town.  I quickly fill her in on the fence situation, and she says not to worry about it because it is extraordinary circumstances.

Here I am dealing with a fence issue, but now I have to run around pick up the house, wake up the kids from their naps, get the kids ready, open all the blinds, and get the hell out of the house in 20 minutes.  Needless to say, I was literally running around like a mad woman, but I made it with time to spare.

Yesterday's definition of Ironic: Putting your house on the market, having a freak wind storm blow through knocking half of your fence down, and 5 minutes later learning someone wants to see your house.  Irony, the definition of my life sometimes.

Today, Andrew is trying to his best to put fence pieces back together while we get an estimate of how much this will cost to fix.  All in day's work, my friend.  All in a day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment