Friday, February 15, 2013

It's not that I'm not romantic...

But I'm more of a realist.  Valentine's Day is a little too much with the lovey dovey for me.  Yes, I enjoy the roses and card my husband brings home to me.  I'm not gonna lie; I'm a sucker of a good bouquet of flowers.  But I'm not going to go all psycho on him if he doesn't make dinner reservations at some swanky restaurant and tell me about his undying love for me in a poem he wrote.  That stuff just doesn't fly with me.

Andrew came home with a nice bouquet of roses, chocolate covered strawberries, and dark chocolate almonds (do you see a theme here).  I was completely happy!  I love my roses.  I then made him the awesome dinner of a variety of leftovers, and we had a normal dinner at the kitchen table with the kids.  It included stories of the day, me telling the boys again not to talk with food in their mouths, Andrew and I both taking turns putting Cullen back in his chair, and Sawyer squawking from his bouncer because he was hungry.  After dinner we ate the cookies Jackson, Cullen, and I made that morning.  Low key and great.

This is reality.  My reality.  And as many times as I go insane and get agitated with my kids, I love them dearly.  I know Valentine's Day is just another day, and I don't expect the lavish expense of it.  Doing anything romantic or getting out of the house with just Andrew and I is a feat not easily accomplished.  We don't have that relative or grandparents to call and ask to babysit.

But I've come to appreciate the moments I do have alone with Andrew.  Plus, I'd rather he make the grand romantic gesture on our wedding anniversary because that day is 110% more important to me than Valentine's Day.  That is the day we devoted ourselves in front of God and everyone else to love each other through thick and thin.  But if he did write about his undying love in a poem, I might have him checked for mental issues.  I love my husband dearly, but that isn't his style.  He's more of a man of a few words, but those words mean a lot.

And to end on a lighter note, I have good reasons for not wanting to do anything on Valentine's Day.  Our first V-Day didn't go exactly as planned (read store here).  The next time we did a nice sit down romantic dinner was in 2010.  Long story short, nine months later Cullen was born.  We have decided after these two incidents we'll just pass on the whole thing.

If you are more of a romantic, I hope you had a marvelous Valentine's Day with the one you love.  If you are a little more like me, I hope someone sent you an absurd and humorous text like my brother sent me yesterday that I lovingly forwarded to my best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment