Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Rockin' to the '90s

I'm standing in the house folding laundry, washing dishes, and watching Sawyer roll all over the place.  All the while, I'm rockin' out to the '90s station on Music Choice.  All '90s all the time!

Listening to the '90s music brings back all kinds of good memories.  I remember belting out most of these songs with Matt, my brother in our house in Maryland or in the car.  It used to annoy my parents, but we didn't care.  We rocked our Umbros and t-shirts so hard.  I remember all my friends showing off their Starter jackets during the winter.  The girls wearing their hair half up in a clip and tying to rest in a loose scrunchie around the base of your neck.  You didn't want the scrunchie tight against your head because that wasn't cool.  You needed that perfect not too tight and not too loose semi-ponytail.  And you can't forget the rainbow bangs!  I went to Catholic schools, so we never had the fashion parade since everyone wore a uniform.  Still, the small things everyone did to set themselves apart was never forgotten.  And I can't tell you how many discussions took place and how long it took to pick out an outfit for dress down days.  You would think we were preparing for the Oscars or something.

It's funny to look back at pictures from our childhood.  All I can think is, "Why the hell did my parents let me wear that?!"  But then I realize, we were the height of fashion or tried to be.  A lot heavier on the tried to be.  It also reminds me of how hard of a time I had finding clothes to fit me correctly.  Most of the stuff swamped my body because being small was not easy to fit.  It also reminded me that some of these songs are 20+ years old which reminded me of my age.  Damn, I'm starting to get old.

As I rock out to Salt 'N Pepa, Savage Garden, Ricki Martin, Aerosmith, Des'ree, Everything But The Girl, and a few others, I'm grateful I grew up in the '80s and '90s.  I never had to worry about laptops, tablets, and cell phones.  It was a little less complicated.

Rock on '90s!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment