Sunday, November 27, 2011

Damn Near Lost My Dog

Quite Literally.

Mea is 9 years old and a very sweet cocker spaniel.  Thibie is 5 years old, very sweet also, but not the smartest cocker spaniel.  Andrew and I think of Thibe as our "special" dog.

It was a typical Sunday afternoon when Andrew asks, "Why was Thibie in the front yard?  And where's Mea?"

I automatically replied, "I have no idea. She's out back."  So I go open up the back door to prove my point, and she's not there.  I step out onto our back porch to look around the backyard, because she likes to loiter and enjoy the colder weather, and I find part of our fence fell down.  My first response was "Oh no!" (Actually, I'll admit the words that formed in my head and came out my mouth were quite more vulgar than that, but I'll spare you what I actually said.)

Our backyard backs up to a utility ditch, so it opens at both ends into our neighborhood.

Andrew and I frantically run into the front yard yelling for Mea up and down the block.  We don't see her any where.  Andrew grabs a car to drive around the neighborhood while telling me to post on our neighborhood Yahoo Group.  I post about missing our dog and call Andrew for an update.  He hasn't found her.

Andrew comes back, we pack up the kids, and all four of us hop into the car to look for her.  About a block into our drive, my phone rings.  It is a neighbor who saw my posting and had seen Mea.  We now have an idea of where she went.  Andrew hops out of the car and I go one way while he goes another.

After turning a corner, I see a fur ball running about two blocks ahead of me.  As I get closer, I clearly see this fur ball is Mea.  I pull up the corner and herd her into the car.  I ended up being four houses down from mine.  And Mea gives me a look like yes, I know I'm in trouble.

We return home with Mea fine about 20 minutes after the whole ordeal finally started.  A long 20 minutes.  Whew!

Thank you to my kind neighbor who called me to let me know she had seen Mea!  Thank you God for letting us find her!

As for Mea, her adventure is over.  She is curled up on her dog bed looking very content.  Who would have thought Mea would be the one to not come home and Thibie would.  Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment