Monday, November 7, 2011

Running Away, Running Away Fast

Why is it Jackson feels this need to run away from me in public?  It's not just me either.  Andrew gets to experience this lovely phenomena as well.

It doesn't matter where we are or what we are doing.  If Jackson sees an opportunity to run to get to where he wants to go (even if it is in the complete opposite direction he needs to be going), he takes it and bolts.

I took Jackson and Cullen to the park this morning.  As I'm getting Jackson out of the car, I specifically state, "Do not run off today."  He answers, "OK."  I'm thinking, finally, I'm making progress!  Yes!

After about 20 minutes of running around with another kid, he decides to bolt and run towards the lake.  The lake is about 100 yards from the playground, give or take.  I yell at him to come back when he's about 20 feet from me.  Of course, he looks back laughs and runs faster.  During all of this, Cullen is walking around the benches.

I take off to go get Jackson, since previous experience has taught me, he will not come back on his own.  I catch up to him about half way down to the lake. I get him to change directions and run back up hill toward the playground.  Thankfully, another mom watched Cullen for me at the playground.

Jackson also did it yesterday in Home Depot while I was holding Cullen.  Andrew was talking to a sales associate, so I couldn't get assistance quick enough.  I dashed for about 20 feet before I got everyone to come to a sudden stop.

He ran away after I took him to communion with me at church on Saturday!  I was mortified!  Thankfully, the deacon and usher just smiled at me and shook their heads at him.

Now I ask, why is it no one else seems to have the "runner" kid?  I get funny looks all the time from other parents when he takes off in parks, stores, parking lots, etc.  He runs without a second glance back.  It's not my fault he decides he wants to compete in the 100 yard dash all of the sudden.  Does not one other parent experince this running phenomena?  Am I the lone person whose kid loves to run off?

On a good note, the running keeps me on my toes and in shape!  I'm just hoping Cullen does not pick up this habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment