Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Parenting is an Exercise in Patience

"Patience is a virtue" was quoted quite often in my house as I was growing up.  My mother often told me how I needed to be more patient.  I even learned a patience song in kindergarten at my Catholic school starting off with, "Have patience, have patience...."

If you haven't guessed it, I can be an impatient person when it comes to certain things.  I won't deny it.  I've embraced this as a part of personality and relish in it.  It has often come in handy when things have come up, and I didn't have the patience to wait for change so I did it myself.  It comes in handy, now and then.

Why am I bringing this up?

Because my patience is tried every day lately.  My boys grow leaps and bound every day which is great.  However, there are things I wish they would hurry up and learn already.  Or I'm doing my best to be patient in the event they are wreaking havoc in my house.

Examples of what I am talking about:

1) I have both crying and wanting to be held after nap time.  Walking around with 50 lbs of cranky children attached to you can try any one's patience.

2) Pulling Cullen away from the fireplace and rocks he continually tries to put in his mouth.

3) Telling Jackson no for the um-teenth time.

At times like these, I have to take a deep breath and realize I'm no Saint.  I'm imperfect and my impatience is part of that imperfection.  I have gained a lot more patience since becoming a parent.  I am not the end all, be all picture of patience.  Despite this, I keep going and realize it gets better.  For every bad day I have, I have three times as many good days.  So bring it!  I can take it!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that song! You sung it all the time when you would visit us. (It was probably due to my Dad and his annoying antics. Grace told him the other day that he was aggravating her...no it he hasn't changed.) Anyway, I tried to sing it to Grace the other day, but I only knew the first two lines. I'm going to have to google it now. :)

    ReplyDelete