Monday, November 28, 2011

A Little Reflection

With Jackson being sick, I attended Mass alone Saturday evening.  Andrew and I decided it was best not to infect others with our childrens germs.

It felt a little odd sitting in the normal congregation because we've been sitting in the cry room since Jackson was about 5 months old.  Our church does have a nursery, but it's not open for Saturday Mass when we usually attend.

I'm sitting in the congregation being able to fully participate in Mass.  Now I know that sounds bad, but when you have two kids who demand attention, you can't exactly pay attention the entire time at Mass.  I wish I could, but inevitably, it doesn't happen.  So I'm listening to the readings and trying to follow along with the new changes made that went into effect this weekend, and I realize how nice it is just to be able to follow Mass.

I'm able to listen to the readings and homily.  I can hear the priest without having to strain my ears.  It was a good time of reflection for me to sit alone at Mass and participate.

I know it will take a couple of more years before the kids can sit still and be quiet for an hour.  It always seems out of reach right now, but then I see other families with kids doing it.  I know it will come, and we will be able to rejoin the regular congregation and leave the cry room behind us.  Until then, I will enjoy the very few times I end up going to Mass by myself.  Then come home to the loud chaos that is my family and remember why I love them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment